All LAPG Members are cordially invited to attend our Annual General Meeting:
Thursday, 3 October 2019
Conference Aston, Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET
This year’s AGM marks a significant milestone in LAPG’s development. Following a comprehensive governance review we are seeking to create new and strengthen existing governance processes. We will be asking members to pass a Special Resolution to adopt a new Articles of Association and note further changes to LAPG’s governing body. Members will also be briefed on the creation of a new Advisory Committee. This new body is designed to maximise the impact our policy work, campaigning and member support services by drawing on the considerable expertise across LAPG’s membership. Members will also be asked for input on LAPG’s new Governance Manual and to consider a proposal for LAPG to apply for charitable status.
Given the scale of the proposed changes we would encourage as many members to attend the AGM as possible. The meeting is open to all members, not just those attending our Annual Dinner and The Legal Aid Conference at the same venue on 3 and 4 October respectively.
1. Minutes of and matters arising from the Annual General Meeting held on 5 October 2018 in London
2. Co-Chairs’ report
3. Treasurer’s report and Presentation of the 2018 Audited Accounts
4. Director’s report – including the outcome of LAPG’s Governance Review, which asks members to:
- Approve a Special Resolution to adopt new Articles of Association
- Approve the Board decision to explore charitable status
- Note the separation of the Board from the Advisory Committee
- Note the adoption of LAPG’s Governance Manual
5. Election of Board of Directors
Please note that we are not inviting new applications to the Board of Directors at this AGM. As part of the governance review the Committee has decided to draw Directors from the existing Committee and then carry out a skills analysis following the AGM. Recruitment to the Board will then be in response to gaps identified through that process and will follow the procedure outlined in the Governance Manual.
6. Any Other Proper Business of the Annual General Meeting
Wine and nibbles will be available. To help us gauge numbers for catering purposes, if you will be attending the AGM please RSVP here.
If you have any questions in relation to the governance review or the business of the AGM, please contact Chris Minnoch.